Registrations for 2023-24 course are now closed and we are not accepting any more applications. Registrations for 2024-25 course will commence in June/July 2024
The beginners course is aimed at creating interest to learn Sanskrit towards reading simple stories and to write small paragraphs on their own.
Course Entry Prerequisites
None. Designed for anyone with no or very little knowledge of Sanskrit and Devanagari script.
Duration and Timings
- Course commences from the second week of September and follows school term dates
- One year duration
- Wednesdays 7:45 PM to 9:15 PM (UK, Zoom-based)
- Learn to read and write in Devanagari script with transliteration: alphabets – vowels, consonants, joining consonants and vowels, conjunct consonants
- Make simple sentences in Sanskrit then translate them to English and vice versa
- Learn basic concepts of grammar like nouns, pronouns and verbs
- Spoken Sanskrit for day to day use
- Introduction to Sandhi and Samasas
Students will be equipped with the introductory tools to continue their further learning of Sanskrit language and literature.
The medium of instruction is English.
All communication is via email and WhatsApp using Internet-links to course resources. Hence, students must be capable of using these.
Students will need to be committed and ensure that they have the time to attend all classes, if possible, and do additional self-study and homework.
There is no Course Fee. All teaching and administration is on a purely voluntary basis. However, students may make a voluntary contribution to Sanskrut Bhakti to cover their essential administration costs e.g. Zoom, Google Drive etc. Details will be provided at the start of the course.
Online free learning resources are used wherever possible. Requirements for any additional books will be advised during the course.